Guiding digital growth

Helping you make confident digital decisions.

I help kiwi non-profits leadership teams explore options, make plans and take digital steps towards their goals. Through a mix of expert advice, planning support and ongoing coaching I enabling them to take control of their digital destiny. I cut through the sales hype and offer a frank assessment of where you are now and what you can realistically aspire to and maintain.

My interventions are designed to help you do what you need to do more easily, or more effectively - preferably both! The things I most often help with are

Independent Digital Assessment

You may need a formal review delivering a report written for you, your board or your funders.  I’ll evaluate your current digital strategy, policies, suppliers, systems and staffing to produce a digital SWOT analysis. It will include recommendations to meet the opportunities and threats identified.  You’ll find out where you stand and how you can proceed.

But not everyone needs that much. Sometimes you need simple advice about the viability of a project proposal. Or options to solve an ongoing  problem. The chance to pick the brain of an expert and get an independent opinion.

Whatever you need, getting to know you is the starting point for all of my work. That starts with a free, no obligation chat.

Planning

Plans should build on a formal assessment and must take account of your funding and resource constraints. We’ll discuss all your options in as much detail as you need; building your digital skills and confidence in the process.  In that way you’ll be comfortable with the decisions made at each stage; starting with your mission goals and digital strategy before moving on to project plans and budgets.

Funding Support

For plans requiring external funding I’ll can help to develop the business case.  In the last few years I’ve helped clients get over half a million dollars of contestable funding and release many times as much from their own reserves.

CB4A5436-7A48-482C-86DA-C85506F07601

"Hazel is a great listener and has the skill, empathy and respect to adapt her relationship management and delivery to suit the specific needs of Big Buddy and the personalities in the team. It is very reassuring to have Hazels expertise and attention to detail as part of our organisation and she is a pleasure to work with. It is impressive how quickly and effectively Hazel has engaged with all the stakeholders to understand our current state and to lead the thinking about scale, security and efficiencies now and into the future."

Paul Burns

Building digital skills

Remember learning financial skills for non-financial managers? They are part of the skill set every budget holder needs, although they do not make you a qualified accountant.  I believe that these days all leaders need a similar level of digital skills to manage their data and systems. Without it you're at the mercy of your suppliers.

I construct personal development plans for senior staff, especially the people managing IT costs and supplier contracts.  I’ll use your real opportunities and challenges as learning opportunities for everyone involved in a project; mentoring them as they deal with the issues arising. I combine coaching on proven IT techniques with expert advice so that “next time” you should be able to do more without external experts like me.

Digital Governance

Most digital governance advice is for big corporates. Mine isn’t. Built on international standards and NZ Government advice it is slimmed down to a practical, affordable approach that matches your non-profits size and scope of operations. I can draft policy, suggest KPIs and help design operational standards that allow for light but effective governance and operational oversight.

Better IT management

Gaining “digital management for non-digital managers” skills allows you to manage about 80% of your IT needs yourself; whether your IT team is on-staff or outsourced. That includes knowing what the remaining 20% is and what to do about it. I’ll identify the right skills, systems and service level agreements for your operational needs. And show you how to set those up.

Innovation

There are three ways I support innovation. Which could be anything from a “new database’ to a full-blown digital transformation journey.

  1. I can help you answer all the questions that keep you from starting a digital transformation. What should we do? How could we do it? What will it cost?
  2. I can show you which technologies are affordable and usable within your resource constraints
  3. I can help you deal with all the non-technical barriers to change; politics, funding and people issues.

Want to chat?

Book a free, 15 minute call and I'll do my best to steer you in the right direction.